Hyped Hybrids and Other Myths
By EV World
One of the highlights of the last two ASPO USA conferences EV World has covered are the intelligent and energetic audience question and answer sessions where a dozen or more people will line up to ask probing, insightful, and often critical questions of guest speakers and panelists. The Q&A of the conference's three transportation experts -- MIT's Dr. John Heywood, Toyota's Bill Reinert and UC Davis' Dr. Andy Frank -- carried on that tradition.
Here are just some of the questions that were asked:
- Are hybrid's over-hyped?
- Whatever happened to methanol as an alternative fuel?
- How can hybrids contribute to the nation's power grid?
- Should we be thinking about reducing highway speed limits again?
- What is the future of lithium ion batteries?
- What role, if any, will CNG (compressed natural gas) vehicles play in the future?
- How do we educate the nation's youth on the future of energy and what it will mean to them?
The answers given by Heywood, Reinert and Frank are educative in themselves, even in their disagreements. You can listen to this information 30-minute session using either of the two MP3 players above or by downloading the file to your computer for transfer and playback on your favorite MP3 player. This program is also available on the Apple iTunes podcast service.
EV World expresses its gratitude to ASPO USA and Boston University for granting us permission to record and make available these presentations.