2012 LA Auto Show Highlights Electric, Hybrid Cars
n class="dateline">LOS ANGELES -- The Los Angeles Auto Show announced today that its media-only Ride & Drive will expand this year to present not only fuel-efficient vehicles, but also vehicles featuring the most advanced in-car technologies. Approximately 25 vehicles from 12 manufacturers will be featured in the new Green and Advanced Technology Ride & Drive representing the leading edge of automotive innovation today. The event represents a one-of-a-kind opportunity for media to experience back-to-back drives from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 29 on both city streets and in closed-course demonstrations.
The participating vehicles represent the latest evolutions of electric, hybrid, clean diesel and fuel cell, while the latest driver assist platforms to be featured include systems such as front crash mitigation, adaptive cruise control, radar-based object detection systems, blind spot monitoring and more. Some of the vehicles on display are so new or in such limited production that the Ride & Drive provides a truly exclusive opportunity for a hands-on experience.
Participating vehicles at the time of press include:
- Acura ILX Hybrid, featuring a 1.5 liter four-cylinder hybrid gasoline engine complemented by an electric motor.
- Chevrolet Volt, the top-selling plug-in electric vehicle in the U.S., which also features a range-extending internal combustion engine.
- Fiat 500e, the 100 percent electric version of the recently re-introduced micro-car classic equipped with a 100 hp equivalent electric motor.
- Fisker Karma, the first luxury EV, featuring an electric motor delivering 959 ft. lbs. of torque paired with a range-extending four-cylinder engine.
- Honda will show multiple vehicles including the all-new, more upscale and premium 2013 Civic sedan; Fit EV, the all-electric battery version of the Fit subcompact which achieves 118 MPGe; the all-new, completely redesigned Accord with LaneWatch lane assist technology, Forward Collision Warning (FCW) and Lane Departure Warning (LDW); and the Accord Plug-in Hybrid, a PHEV version of the popular Accord model that targets 110 MPGe.
- Mercedes-Benz GL 350 BlueTec, a clean diesel SUV also equipped with Collision Prevention Assist, radar-based active controls for avoiding accidents.
- Mitsubishi i-MiEV, an all-electric subcompact hatchback that has earned 112 MPGe rating.
- Nissan Leaf, a 100 percent electric vehicle that also features the Carwings smartphone app to activate controls including remote activation of battery charging and climate controls.
- Smart EV all-electric micro-car, which has received a 50 percent power boost with improved Li-ion battery technology.
- Subaru Outback with Eyesight, which uses a dash-mounted camera to deliver driver assist features such as adaptive cruise control and lane departure warning.
- Toyota will feature four vehicles including its all-electric RAV4, a groundbreaking electric vehicle at 76 MPGe that is the result of a collaboration with Tesla Motors; the new 40 MPG Avalon hybrid featuring a 2.5 liter four-cylinder internal combustion engine paired with two electric motors; the Prius Plug-in, a next-generation hybrid that allows all-electric driving at speeds up to 60 mph and advanced safety technology including a Pre-Collision System; and the FCHV-adv, a fuel cell hybrid concept vehicle demonstrating breakthrough hydrogen cell technology that can take a vehicle over 500 miles on a single fill-up.
- Volkswagen's latest, including the new 2013 Jetta Hybrid featuring a turbocharged 1.4 liter four-cylinder engine paired with a 27 hp electric motor and an "electric-only" mode; the torquey clean diesel 2013 Beetle TDI equipped with a 2.0 liter turbo-diesel engine, and demonstrating one of the latest biofuel advancements, Volkswagen Passat TDI powered by Solazyme renewable diesel.
The event is sponsored by the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers and Nielsen Automotive. On the morning of the Ride & Drive, Nielsen Automotive will announce the winner of the second annual Nielsen Automotive Green Marketer of the Year Award. The award measures the most effective green marketer and will focus on understanding which auto brand raised awareness and changed perceptions around environmental issues most effectively.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: To read this EV Worldwire news story, click the READ COMPLETE ARTICLE link above. This will launch a separate window to the original news source. To comment on this story use the Reader's Comment form below.
|<< PREVIOUS||NEXT >>|
blog comments powered by Disqus